Grapes are great for Budgies! Although, remember to deseed them first as they may be a choking hazard for your feathery friend! However, if you forget to deseed a couple, it’s not the end of the world as one or two seeds shouldn’t be a problem!
In this article, you will find out more than if your Budgies can eat Grapes, so read till the end to find out how much grape your Budgies should be eating and what happens if your Budgies eat too many grapes!
- Can Budgies eat grapes?
- The health benefits of grapes for Budgies.
- How many grapes can Budgies eat?
- Can Budgies eat too many grapes?
- The Dirty Dozen
What this article will cover:
Can Budgies Eat Grapes?
On one hand, grapes are incredibly beneficial. They provide a good range of benefits (Like reducing stress to helping prevent chronic diseases). While at the same time, if you don’t give them to your budgie in moderation, it could be lead to health problems down the road! It’s a double-edged sword.
Don’t worry too much it takes a lot for grapes to become a problem! We will cover this in the coming section! The benefits of grapes, in the meantime, go far beyond being good for the Kidneys. Here is a list of the vitamins and minerals we will cover: Vitamin C, Thiamin and Potassium, Vitamin B6 & Antioxidants
The Health Benefits Of Grapes For Budgies!
Grapes are packed full of nutritional goodness. Although grapes are not meant to be part of your bird’s main diet, the vitamins and minerals that come inside this juicy berry have been known to help prevent chronic diseases!
If that’s not enough, how about reducing stress? Grapes have a good Vitamin C content which is great at helping your bird stay mentally stable. Sounds pretty great right, but the list of beneficial nutrients doesn’t stop there. Read on to see a little more into what grapes can provide for your bird!
Let’s look deeper into the nutrients found in grapes, and what they can do for your budgie!
- This is an important vitamin for your budgie to have. Vitamin C is great at reducing stress.
- Having a Vitamin C deficiency can be detrimental to your little guys’ overall mental health.
- Vitamin C is great for the immune system and creating antibodies! Which will keep your birdie healthy!
Thiamin (Vitamin B1)
- Thiamin keeps your bird’s nervous system in check! Keeping their coordination and motor controls working the way they should be!
- A deficiency in Vitamin B1 can be a miner as a loss of appetite to something more serious as seizures and even in some extreme cases loss of life.
- Don’t worry! Many foods have enough vitamin B to keep them happy and coordinated while clambering from curtains to cages!
- Potassium is great for aiding the speed of their metabolism, as well as helping strengthen bones.
- This mineral is great for reducing blood pressure while at the same time helping to retain water!
- High Potassium diets help prevent strokes as well as keeping diseases like osteoporosis and kidney stones at bay.
Potassium got you interested? try my article “Can budgies eat cucumber“
- Vitamin B6 is great for breaking down proteins, which is incredibly important for healthy living!
- Lack of Vitamin B6 is known to stunt growth and cause a lack of appetite.
- Egg production can be harder with a lack of vitamin B6. Grapes help in many ways!
- This is a great compound for helping to fight free radicals! Which damages cells over a period of time.
How Much Grape Should Budgies Eat?
When it comes to how many grapes a Budgies should eat, the rule of thumb is roughly 1-2 grapes a week! Try not to feed your budgie grapes two days in a row, as this will lead to problems that we will talk about soon! Sticking to one or two grapes a week will be ample!
I like to remember the rule “80/20” when it comes to food for birds. Usually, 80% of your budgies’ diet will come from pellets, and the other 20% will be berries/ fruit and vegetables. This way, the bulk of their nutrition will be covered by their main food source, and the great benefits of the fruit and vegetable will cover the rest! This will also be a great way to open your bird up to new flavors as well as bond with you while you spend time with them!
Now that we have covered the 80/20 rule, when it comes to eating grapes try to either cut it up into pieces and feed them bit by bit or letting them go wild on a whole grape! Either will keep them entertained for a bit!
Remember to rinse your grapes first, even when buying organic! This is a great good habit to get into when feeding your bird fresh produce!
Can Budgies Eat Too Many Grapes?
Unfortunately, yes. budgies can eat too many grapes. Usually, grapes contain 12grams of fructose (natural sugars) which is fine for humans. However, birds don’t create enough of the enzyme necessary to break down the sugars and could lead to problems down the line which could be minor as upset tummies (which could get messy) to more serious problems such as obesity and diabetes!
If their tummies do get a bit upset, get ready for some squidgy poos! Not to worry, reduce their grape intake and add some fiber! They’ll be happy in no time. Remember, grapes are a great snack when given in the right amount but should only be given as a healthy snack. Don’t forget, usually, fruits and vegetables should only be 20% of your Budgies’ diet.
Yes! Birds can get diabetes too. Too much sugar, just like with humans, can lead to diabetes and other diseases, as well as heart disorders. Sugar can be a great treat or a harmful toxin, depending on quantity. Before you throw out all sugar, remember moderation. Keep to one or two grapes a week, and you will keep your friend happy, healthy, and active.
The Dirty Dozen
A CNN article linked “here” says “After strawberries, the “dirty dozen,” in order, are apples, nectarines, peaches, celery, grapes, cherries, spinach, tomatoes, sweet bell peppers, cherry tomatoes and cucumbers.” This article is definitely worth a read!
If you’ve made it to the end and are now reading the recap! Thank you. In this section, I like to cover the article’s highlights and go over the necessary information!
Can Budgies Eat Grapes?: Yes, not only do Budgies eat grapes, but it can be turned into a great exercise for you and your Budgies to bond over!
The Health Benefits Of Grapes For Budgies: Grapes have amazing health benefits, and as long as they are fed in moderation can do provide stress relief, create the framework for a healthy mental space, and much more!
How Many Grapes Should Budgies Eat?: The rule of thumb here is going to have to be one or two a week. This will provide your Budgies with everything they need without becoming a risk!
Can Budgies Eat Too Many Grapes?: Yes, unfortunately, giving your Budgies grapes in abundance and missing all the warning signs can lead to some pretty serious problems like diabetes and heart disorders after a while.
Any Questions you have relating to this article or just for me in general, leave a comment down below in the comments section.
Disclaimer: I am not an expert. Some Birds may react differently to different fruits. Please make sure you always slowly introduce a new food into their diet and keep an eye out for any adverse reactions. If your pet does start displaying symptoms of an adverse reaction, please contact your vet for advice.
Amazon Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.