Not only can Budgies eat apples, but they are great for them too! However, remember to wash and deseed them first as apple seeds can be a problem for birds, and so can the pesticides, so be sure to read the dirty dozen section for more information!
From stress relief to protecting their nervous system, apples make a great addition to your Budgies’ diet! Read on to see exactly how much apple you should be feeding your Budgie as well as what to do if you might have been giving them too much apple!
Table of Contents
- Can Budgies Eat Apples?
- The Health Benefits Of Apples For Budgies
- Can Budgies Eat Too Much Apple?
- How Much Apple Can Budgies Eat?
- Can Budgies Eat Apple Seeds?
- The Dirty Dozen
Can Budgies Eat Apples?
Not only do budgies love to eat apples, but the benefits are also great for them! Next time you’re sitting there thinking “can my budgie eat apples” go for it! Apples come with a whole host of benefits. From Vitamin C, which keeps your birds’ stress levels down, to copper which keeps your birds’ nervous system healthy, makes for one happy birdie!
Budgies should really stick to the 80/20 rule. Usually, 80% of your Budgies’ daily diet will be pellets and 20% fruit and vegetables. However, fruit and vegetables will provide your Budgie with new tastes and flavors! Not only will this help you bond with your Budgie by introducing them to new fun foods, but you will also be adding different nutrition to their diet that may not be in the pellets!
Let’s get into the benefits.
The Health Benefits Of Apples For Budgies
Apples, in general, are great for keeping a budgies liver and digestion system healthy! As well as being a great source of antioxidants!
Here is a list of the vitamins and minerals that apples have and why they do wonders for your bird: Vitamin C, Potassium, Manganese, and Copper.
- This is an important vitamin for your budgie to have. Vitamin C is great at reducing stress.
- Having a Vitamin C deficiency can be detrimental to your little guys’ overall mental health.
- Vitamin C is great for the immune system and creating antibodies! Which will keep your birdie healthy!
Vitamin C got you curious? Try my article “Can Budgies eat watermelon“
- Potassium is great for aiding the speed of their metabolism, as well as helping strengthen bones.
- This mineral is great for reducing blood pressure while at the same time helping to retain water!
- High Potassium diets help prevent strokes as well as keeping diseases like osteoporosis and kidney stones at bay.
Try my article “Can Budgies eat strawberries ” for more about potassium.
Magnesium has similar benefits to vitamin A. This keeps their Beaks, Bones, and feathers in good nick. Sounds great right? Here’s more:
- What sets magnesium apart is that not only does it keep the outside healthy, but the insides working how they’re meant to.
- Magnesium keeps the nerve impulses, muscle coordination, and the brain’s neurons in order.
- The heart! Magnesium keeps the heart-healthy. So remember to keep magnesium part of their diet.
Try my article “Can Budgies eat Cucumber” for more about Manganese.
- Copper is great for making red blood cells and looking after blood vessels!
- The nerves, immune system, and bones are included in the list for things copper looks after and keeps healthy!
- A copper deficiency can lead to bone deformation.
Can Budgies Eat Too Much Apple?
Budgies can eat too much apple in the sense that it would unbalance their diet as well as their tummies! Depending on the apple brand (sweetness), it may upset their tummy, which will be a very watery clean-up! Not fun.
So be mindful when feeding your Budgie apple and be sure to have a look at their droppings, if it is the same as usual then great but if things do get a bit liquid here are a few things you can do to get things running a bit more smooth.
- Change the apple brand.
- Reduce the amount of liquid they consume. Keep their water bowls full, reduce the amount of watery food they eat.
- Add more fiber to their diet to harden things up again.
How Much Apple Can Budgies Eat?
When it comes to how much apple you should be feeding a Budgies, remember to take their size into account! Usually, a Slice of an apple every two or three days once washed and deseeded, should be plenty for one Budgie!
Try to find an organic apple that is not so sweet as fructose (which is natural sugars) can be a problem for a Budgies belly! But we will cover this in the next two sections.
So as a quick recap:
- Wash your apples first.
- Deseed them before feeding them.
- Try to find apples that are not sweet due to the fructose.
- Let your bird enjoy!
Can Budgies Eat Apple Seeds?
Unfortunately, apple seeds are toxic to birds as apples have a toxin called cyanide, which gets released once chewed. It is best to avoid feeding them apple seeds. The good thing is, you should only be feeding your Budgie a slice of an apple, so when you cut up your apple, it should only take two seconds to deseed.
Apple seeds aren’t a problem for humans as the amount released is not enough to harm us, although birds are much smaller, so their little bodies can’t handle the amount released.
If you would like to read more about this here is a link to “HealthLine.com” where they talk a bit about Apple Seed toxins.
The Dirty Dozen
A CNN article linked “here” says, “After strawberries, the “dirty dozen,” in order, are apples, nectarines, peaches, celery, grapes, cherries, spinach, tomatoes, sweet bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, and cucumbers.” This article is definitely worth a read!
In short, remember to wash your apples first to get rid of any nasty pesticides that could be harmful to your budgie! Buying organic can help reduce this, but I usually wash them regardless, to be sure!
If you’ve made it to the end and are now reading the recap! Thank you. In this section, I like to cover the article’s highlights and go over the necessary information!
Can Budgies Eat Apples?: Budgies can eat apples. Just remember to wash the skin and deseed them first! This way, there will be nothing to worry about.
The Health Benefits Of Apples For Budgies: The vitamins and minerals that apples have can do amazing things for your Budgie! From Stress relief to protect their mental health, each one of these “Vitamin C, Potassium, Manganese, and Copper” have incredible benefits for your bird.
How Much Apple Should Budgies Eat: When it comes to how much apple you should be feeding a Budgie, remember to take their size into account! Usually, a Slice of an apple every two or three days once washed and deseeded, should be plenty for one Budgie!
Can Budgies Eat Apple Seeds?: Unfortunately, apple seeds are toxic to birds as apples have a toxin called cyanide, which gets released once chewed. It is best to avoid feeding them apple seeds.
Can Budgies Eat Too Much Apple?: Budgies can eat too much apple in the sense that it would unbalance their diet as well as their tummies! Depending on the apple brand (sweetness), it may upset their tummy, which will be a very watery clean-up! Not fun.
Any Questions you have relating to this article or just for me in general, leave a comment down below in the comments section.
Disclaimer: I am not an expert. Some parrots may react differently to different fruits. Please make sure you always slowly introduce a new food into their diet and keep an eye out for any adverse reactions. If your pet does start displaying symptoms of an adverse reaction, please contact your vet for advice.
Amazon Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.